“Completed in February 2010 by the Sightlines facilities advisory firm, the analysis found that 42% of SU’s carbon emissions come from on-campus stationary sources (primarily the coal plant), 32% are linked to electricity consumption, and 15% come from commuting.”
Read the summary of the report here:
Happy Earth Day!
Do something today to help protect the Earth.
image via: http://www.conservation.org/Pages/default.aspx
Did you know it is Earth Month!? I am sure (or hoping) you know that April 22nd is Earth Day! In honor of this wondrous month maybe you could add a little more green in your life! Here are just a few ways to be green for this month (and the rest of the year).
- Buy Organic. If there was ever a time to splurge it is this month! Lots of fresh local produce coming out and delicious foods to be had! Produce grown organically are better for the environment AND your tummy! NOM NOM NOM! Also, meats that are certified organic are animals that were feed organic feed, not injected with weird crap, and were allowed to frolic in the outdoors :) Happy cows and chickies!!
- Unplug yo crap! I have a power strip in my apartment where all my chargers are plugged into… when I am not charging something, I unplug the whole strip. EASY! And in the kitchen my microwave, Keurig, and toaster are all plugged into one strip that I unplug when I am not using one of them! :) Not only does it keep the electric bill low (which I enjoy) it saves energy! Try unplugging your electronics and chargers when they are not in use!
- Turn out the lights, let’s party! Well… maybe not a party… but definitely try turning off the lights in rooms you are not using, and lights that are unnecessary. Do you really need the over head light, the standing lamp, and the table lamp in your room on… just to see your laptop which is already backlit? I think not. Don’t strain your eyes by living in complete darkness, but let’s try using less lights when possible!
- Squeaky, Green, and Clean! Try using “green” cleaning supplies! Buy products the advertise as more green, ones with less harsh chemicals. Go all out and try making your own green products! Check out this site HERE which has great recipes for home products, most of which you can make with your basic pantry items!
- Homemade Spa! This one is fun! Try using organic and natural things around your house for skin and body treatments! Look online for tons of homemade recipes for hair masks, facials, body scrubs, and more! A few of my fav… sea salt, olive oil, and honey for a body scrub! Coconut oil for a hair mask! Avocado and honey for a face mask!
- RECYCLE! I know that for some of us it is hard. I have very little room in my apartment for my bed, let alone recycling bins. Also, there aren’t a lot of easy access recycling centers (I live in east bumf*ck… excuse my language). Regardless, we all can do it! Maybe try to recycle just one or two things to start! Paper and plastic is easy! Make cute recycling bins for your house! That is fun! Recycling is the easiest and one of the best ways to make an impact on our lovely Earth!
- Bring Your Own Bags! Not just at the grocery store either! Bring it to the mall! Let’s be honest do you really need ANOTHER Victoria Secret bag to try and stuff in the trash (why do they make those things so stiff and thick and… terrible!?!)? Also, some places give you a discount for bringing your own bags! You don’t need to buy them either! Wanna be super green? Take some old big T-shirts and make your own bags like THIS! BE careful with fresh produce though! Put them in plastic bags before going in this one or you could leave behind moisture and bacteria to grow :/ Yikes!
- Shorten Your Shower Concert. I know, I like to sing in the shower too…. and dance around, stretch, and do other strange things for like 45 minutes, but seriously it is not necessary! Try shortening your shower by 5 minutes and you could save tons of water!
- Bobble That! Or any reusable water bottle! Bobbles are great because you can have clean water anywhere! Carry a water bottle on you so you never have to buy bottled. Save some mullah too! ALL ABOUT BOBBLES!
- Wash On Cold. My favorite tip! I wash all my clothes on cold! Why? Because then you can shove them all in one wash, no sorting required! If you wash in all cold water you can save time sorting, and save energy! DO ITTTTT!
These are just a few tips and things you should try this month and year round :) For more tips on going green check out sites like The Daily Green!
April 22 marks the 42nd year since the first Earth Day, and a plethora of eco-themed theatrical releases and TV shows will premiere in the days leading up to the anniversary.
What to know more facts about recycling?
Click here: http://www.facts-about-recycling.com/
(Source: lover-root, via mothernaturenetwork)
What to recycle on campus. How to recycle on campus. As well as frequently asked recycling questions.
***Click on the image for a larger view
“Earth Day first began on April 22, 1970, when 20 million people across the United States participated in rallies celebrating nature and decrying activities that put it at risk.”
Click here for more Earth Day facts: